Sunday, June 27, 2010

Creating community.

I have been reading a bunch of stuff this morning about the "New Earth" and all the planetary shifts going on right now. There is a huge amount to say about this topic but I am going to stick to the community part of it. In American culture and a lot of other cultures around the world there is a lot of separation.

My mind drifts to the story of the Lost Boys of Sudan, a large group of boys that were uprooted from their homes because of fighting between the Muslims and Catholics in Sudan. (that is a way oversimplification of a very complicated issue but I will leave it at that) The first time I heard about this was probably sometime around 1991. I was in High School. My family lived in Europe and I went to school at an international school on a Nato base in Belgium. We were visiting an Irish priest we knew who was a chaplain in the American Army. He lived in Holland at that time. He had 2 other visitors on this trip, a German priest and a teenage boy from Sudan that the priest was helping. My brother and I spent most of the night talking with this boy. He told us about his life and how he ended up in Germany. He talked about the separation and loneliness that came with Western culture. It was something he had not known as a boy living in the refuge camps with hundreds of others like him. I have read of this over and over again when reading about the Lost Boys experiences in the United States and in Western Europe.

I often think about the huge houses that many Americans live in and how each child has their own room from the time they are a newborn. I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would want to live in a 5000 square foot home and that is considered small by many. The cleaning alone would do me in. I think about how many people I know who are on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. I totally think that they serve an important purpose and am not criticizing anyone for being on them but I think a lot of the depression and anxiety comes from all the separation that we feel, not to mention the foods that people put in their mouths, but that is for another time. There is so much focus on how much stuff we have and not who we are. Some people are depressed and anxious by falling into this trap and others are depressed and anxious because they can't to survive in a world that works like this.

That is changing. I can see it and I can feel it. I envision a future for myself and many others where we feel supported by each other and the Universe as a whole. I see a future where people are a lot happier and more fulfilled with their lives. The key to this is to cultivate the positive relationships in our lives and seek new, beautiful, supportive ones, get "quiet" enough to let your spirit speak to you about what is really important to you and then find a way to do it. We all make things way too difficult and separate ourselves when we do not need to be. It is all about community and love. I really believe that if we can work together and support each other, we will help create all the shifts needed to make this world beautiful beyond belief.

No comments: